Skip to content
Current

The U.S. did not confirm Israel's claim of a Turkish soldier in Syria.

U.S. Ambassador to Ankara Tom Barrack stated that the intelligence that a Turkish soldier was located at Israel's airbase in Syria had not been confirmed by the U.S.

ajans11··
abdpost post440325 6a8a331aa26c1
3 min read

ABD’s Ambassador to Ankara and Special Representative to Syria Tom Barrack said that the claim of a 'Turkish military presence' used by Israel as a justification for its attack on the Abu Zuhur airbase in Syria had not been confirmed by ABD intelligence. Barrack stated that investigations found no evidence of Turkish troops or military elements in the area.

"Israel Intelligence" Sent to Washington

According to Barrack, Israel transmitted intelligence to the U.S. about the possibility of Turkish troops or military elements in the area in Syria roughly six days before the attack. It was reported that Israel informed Washington of its concern that a Turkish military unit might be present in the region.

abdpost abd ankara buyukelcisi barrack israil suriye turk askeri iddiasi 23082026 6a8a34dc29794

ABD Examined It With Its Own Intelligence

Following the 'information' received from Israel, Barrack said that ABD's own intelligence units investigated the matter, but no evidence supporting Israel's claim was found. The U.S. ambassador stated that the assessment determined that no Turkish soldiers or military elements were present on the ground.

Israel's attack on the Abu Zuhur Military Air Base in Syria also heightened tensions between Ankara and Tel Aviv. Israel argued that the strike was linked to preparations to allow a Turkish military presence by violating Syria's security regulations, while Turkey rejected those claims.

Turkish jets could take off

Barrack said that the prospect of a Turkish military response to Israeli warplanes advancing toward Turkey's border during the attack has entered the agenda. Barrack, who indicated that Turkey could consider deploying its own warplanes, said that this would curb the escalation if the parties refrain from taking further steps.

Turkey's Cold War Theory

The U.S. ambassador also suggested a theory that Israel's attack might aim to draw Turkey into a possible conflict. Barrack emphasized that this is only a possibility, but said such a step could be used politically before the upcoming elections in Israel.

Warning of a Third World War

Barrack, who warned that a direct conflict between Turkey and Israel could have broader consequences, said that a miscalculation or a single uncontrolled step could exacerbate the regional crisis. According to the U.S. assessment, neither side is intent on entering a direct war.

Departure from Israel to the embassy

Israel's Defense Minister Israel Katz said the attack was based on intelligence and that US officials had been briefed.

Why Was the US Base in Syria a Target?

Israel's strike on August 18 targeting the Abu Zuhur Air Base occurred shortly after a Turkish delegation visited the area. The Syrian government said there was no plan to set up a permanent Turkish military base there, and Turkey also rejected Israel's justification.

Allegations Regarding Trump and Erdoğan's Meeting

Barrack also disclosed details of a conversation in which he said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. According to Barrack, Trump asked Erdoğan why Turkey had not taken direct control of Syria, and Erdoğan replied that they wanted Syria to remain an independent and sovereign state.

Ankara Aims to Ease Tension

Barrack also praised President Erdoğan's efforts to reduce tensions along the Turkey-Israel-Syria line. It had previously been announced that the United States was working on a conflict‑prevention mechanism to avert potential military misunderstandings among the three countries.

Regional Tension Persists

Following the Ebu Zuhur attack, while mutual statements between Turkey, Israel, and Syria continued, Washington was working to prevent the tension from escalating into a direct Turkey‑Israel clash. Barrack's latest statement drew attention by revealing that the claim of a Turkish military presence used by Israel as a pretext for the attack had not been confirmed by U.S. intelligence.

Comments

You must sign in to comment.

Sign In
    The U.S. did not confirm Israel's claim of a Turkish soldier in Syria. | Ajans11.net